As spring approaches, you are probably planning your next home renovation project. Is it time to upgrade the windows and doors on your Oakville home? Want to save money by installing them yourself? Here are some tips from the experts on how to install windows and doors.
Of course, professional installation by a certified installer is always the best option when it comes to replacing Oakville windows and doors. However, if you are skilled at DIY repairs and follow these tips, you should have no problems.
Tips on How to Install Windows and Doors
Before you install Oakville windows and doors replacement, make sure to adhere to the following tips from the experts.
The following advice on how to install windows and doors will save you a lot of time and money:
- Measure the window space and door space at least two times before you order replacement doors and windows to ensure a proper fit.
- Do not attempt to take any steps in the installation process without first consulting the manufacturer, as this could render the warranty null and void.
- Only use products and tools designed to meet and exceed the standard performance level.
- Always determine what tools you will need for the installation beforehand to ensure that you are properly prepared for the task at hand.
- As you are priming the window or door, check for signs of rot or other damage from exposure to the elements of aging.
- Doorknobs, window pulls, and other hardware will be the final touches that add a sense of style and personalization to your home. Try to stick with matching pieces for a uniform look.
- To find the most energy-efficient, sturdy, and stylish doors and windows, contact your local windows and doors company for expert recommendations.
Tips for Door Installation
- The first thing you need to do is to remove the door hinges and the door itself before carefully and thoroughly examining the door for damage. If you find extensive damage, you will need to rip out the frame in its entirety and build a new one before installing the replacement door.
- Attach the new hinges and hardware to the door frame before attending to the door itself and hammering in the pins. To ensure it flows smoothly, open and shut the door a few times. Reposition if necessary by unscrewing the hinges and reattaching.
- Keep in mind that exterior doors will require more insulation than interior doors. Also, the frames must be larger, as exterior doors are heavier.
- To help reduce drafts, install a gasket in the door foundation or along the bottom of the door.
Tips for Window Installation
- Use a level to ensure that the window area is even once you have carefully removed the existing window unit. If the surface is uneven, you should fix it by readjusting or sanding the window frame (this also applies to door installation).
- Similar to door installation, if you find rotting or damaged wood, you should completely remove and rebuild the window frame to prevent damage to the structure of your home.
- To install the replacement window, simply insert the glass into the cutout, double-checking that it is level before securing it.
- Make sure the window is flush before securing it. After the window is secure, add caulking and weather stripping to prevent air leaks.
Are you unsure of how to install windows and doors? Contact TH Windows and Doors Oakville for expert advice on anything from window selection to the final installation. Call us today to get started on your door and window replacement project.